Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hooray for Malapropisms

One of the more amusing things about interacting with people whose native language is so different than your own is the occasional ironically misused vocabulary. Take, for instance, the following: during a recent conversation with my friend Chiawei and her boyfriend Chiachi, Chiawei became curious about my motivation for being a vegetarian. She thought it might be a religion thing - lots of people here are vegetarians because they're Buddhist - but she couldn't think of the word for it.

"Do you believe in booty?" she asked.

Chiachi, whose English is near-native and who is somewhat more familiar with American slang, chimed in "I definitely believe in booty."

It took us a while to explain to Chiawei just exactly what it was that she had just said, whereupon she flushed a bright color of pink. Thank goodness she had a sense of humor about it, though; since then it's kind of become a running gag. It makes me wonder what silly and/or meaningless things I've said to complete strangers without even knowing it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whaha

Becca I think u can start writing a book about how your foreign friends speak english.
That would be so hilarious and it would make u rich. :)

Starting wit my buoy, boogie n boobies. And don't forget Norman's 'I'm so hot' instead of 'I'm so embarrassed' ;)

luv

Carol