Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Mission: Accomplished


CarolParty3
Originally uploaded by beccamozart.
Well, it's official: yes, you can buy a yoga mat in China. After traipsing up and down the greater Shanghai area for a little over a month and expending a great deal of my hippie energy points, I have finally come across the yoga mat of my dreams. I had to take a taxi across the river, get lost and found again, and climb four flights of stairs to find it, but I have it now. And actually, it's better than the one I have back in the States. I'm feeling quite miserably like a spoiled westerner at this point, but my bed is nothing more than a slab of wood with a half-inch pad on it. My back has been killing me, not to mention the fact that without my daily yoga pieces of my mind have been scattered all the way from here to Pudong. That, and it's just way too hot to be running outside every day. Gotta get the exercise somewhere.

My friend Carol had a birthday party last weekend at the Cloud Nine bar in the Grand Hyatt at the top of the Jin Mao tower, and it was pretty fun. Carol and Kwai Mei are both going home this week, which will leave me rather lonely, but at least I'll have time to study now. I've been feeling slightly under the weather - I don't know whether I'm dehydrated or the change in my diet has affected my blood sugar levels or both - and it's getting more and more difficult to get out of bed and go to class. Of course, if I went to bed at a decent hour it would probably help too. Darn Shanghai and its interesting things to do....

No comments: