Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Airplane!

I’m sitting in an airport, waiting for a strange-looking mechanical man-made artificial bird to take me to a place other than the one I currently help to occupy. It occurs to me as I sit here that over the course of my life I’ve taken up a good number of metaphysical spaces in a great deal of different physical ones. Was the Becca who sat in the airport in Taipei a year and a half ago waiting for a flight to Seattle the same Becca who is sitting in Seattle now waiting for a flight to Helena? It’s hardly likely; the challenges of this year have refined this Becca into what feels like such a solidly strong piece of metal that she hardly recognizes the flimsy coat hanger of that other Becca on the brief occasion that she finds enough free time or audacity to look that far backward. That, and I (being the Becca writing this) just read somewhere that on a biological level we human beings completely recycle all the atoms in our bodies every seven years. So if I’m not that metaphysical Becca, and I’m not that actual-physical Becca, which Becca am I? Really, factoring in all of the changes in life, is it ever actually possible to be any kind of Becca other than the now Becca? This is a gigantic paradox, because the now Becca is definitely not the then Becca. But the now Becca wouldn’t be here if she weren’t at least a little defined by the experiences of the then Becca. Should the now Becca bear the guilt and pain of the then Becca? That hardly seems fair: the then Becca got to share in none of the happiness and strength of the now Becca, and neither of us gets a piece of the satisfaction of the future Becca, who, we hope, will go down in history as the woman who finally discovered the social formula for world peace. And so it’s all quite complicated.

I was standing in the security line today when I had some brief flash of a memory, just an ephemeral shot of a picture in my mind, of standing in a security line in another airport, somewhere, and I realized that I don’t know which airport it was. It could have been anywhere, I’ve been so damn many of them. Beijing? Shanghai? Hong Kong? Tokyo? Spokane?

This brought two particularly poignant thoughts to mind. The first was that I am incredibly lucky. How many people can say that they’ve been to so many places that they can’t keep them all straight in their heads? We could, of course, posit that I can’t keep anything at all straight in my head, but let’s leave that aside for the moment for the sake of argument.

The second, however, was that for all the blessings I’ve had in my life, it’s a bit unsettling how much of it I’ve wasted trying to get somewhere else. Really, life is just moments, strung together like Christmas lights on a cord. When we’re children each of these moments is exciting and new to the point where we can’t even concentrate and our parents have to cling desperately to our tiny wrists to keep us from running full-speed into the nearest most colorful object. What is right in front of us is all that exists. This is why kids never worry about anything. Even eating is an adventure; as adults we see it as something obnoxious that must be done quickly so we can get back to writing our papers on rhetorical devices in the Confucian classics. But kids, when they eat they go up and down and around, they stick their hands in pudding just to feel it goop and they chomp on celery just to hear it crunch and they spread spaghetti around just to make art with the sauce on the table. Everything is light and sound and flavor and color and experience. And they don’t even think to appreciate it, because that’s the way everything is to them, because that’s the way everything should be.

When do we start getting to the age where our experiences begin to run together? When do the perfect individual blessings of our sensory experiences, the celery crunches of feeding bread heels to pigeons or splashing in puddles or that really cool gum someone left on the sidewalk begin to run together like a Monet left out in the rain? And why are we so willing to be satisfied with the gray formlessness of a muddled and neglected masterpiece when we could be looking at a Starry Night?

No comments: