Friday, April 18, 2008

More Proof That the Truth is Stranger Than Fiction

Today - as far as I know, and nobody has told me otherwise - is April 18th. Only twelve days to go until May. Another 7 days beyond that is my birthday, a day that usually dawns bright and warm in Seattle, and one that ordinarily functions as the culmination of a few weeks of steadily increasing temperatures.

My question, then, is why when I came out of the mall at eight o'clock this evening, there were two inches of snow on the car. It's freezing outside.

Things seem to be taking a turn for the strange lately. Not only has the weather been indescribably (and, as far as I'm concerned, uncomfortably) odd, although that would give me reason enough to complain. Jeremy and I were joking on the way home, as his little Honda braved the slush on the roads, that when we have kids we'll tell them stories about how when we were young it only snowed during the winter and they, in turn, will laugh and call us liars.

But no. Not content with environmental oddity, I decided to push the limits of the bizarre and - you may want to sit down - switch to a Mac. I am no longer a PC user. I'm frightened of this new alien technology. The button to close windows is on the left instead of the right, and there's no right-click on the mouse. Who does that? Surely dashboard widgets are against the laws of nature, and viruses are just God's way of teaching us patience. Apple computers are an abomination. And yet here I sit, watching out the window as snow falls on this crisp April night, and reveling in the fact that my keyboard has a backlight. I feel dirty.

No comments: