Thursday, July 07, 2005

Next Year I'm Going to Japan (or) Where do They Put All the Japanese?

Well as of about an hour ago I'm finally in Shanghai, and I have to say that the flight was blessedly unremarkable. Absolutely nothing happened. Which, compared to last year, is a huge improvement. I have all my luggage, I got vegetarian meals on the flight, I managed to avoid getting completely ripped off...all in all, a pretty good trip. Not only that, but for some reason I now seem to be able to access my blog, which means that updates should be a little more frequent than they were last year.

So I had an hour and a half layover in the Tokyo airport today, and it gave me plenty of half-conscious pause to wonder two things: 1. why didn't I study Japanese instead? and 2. um...where are all the Japanese? The first question came because the airport was beautiful; even the bathrooms were perfect. They didn't have stalls, they had individual little private rooms. And even the kids' play area had a wall of computers so kids could connect to the internet. And here I go to a country that's absolutely notorious for its gross restrooms and it takes me half an hour to connect to the internet in my hotel room. The second question came because all of the signs were in English, and I could have sworn that there were at least as many white people as there were Japanese in the terminal. Add the Chinese where there, and the Japanese were probably outnumbered two to one. Granted I was in the international terminal waiting on a flight to mainland China, but still...is Japan just so great that the Japanese don't want to go anywhere?

In other news, Shanghai is murderously stuffy, I had a really strange meal on the flight today that tasted like sweet potatoes with mint chutney, and the bed in my room feels like I'm sleeping on a brick wall. And I love all of it. Well, maybe excepting the mint chutney.

More later...I'm going on my twenty-third hour awake, and I'm starting to drag.

No comments: